Somehow we banged up the trailer couple so it wouldn't latch nicely.
Unfortunately, it was welded rather than bolted to the trailer tongue. So I cut it off with a cut-off wheel on my angle grinder (being careful to remove more material from the couple than the tongue).
It was rusty underneath, so i cleaned it up with a wire wheel
and painted it.
The hardest part was drilling 0.5" holes for bolts. Somehow a cheap bit from a Harbor Freight set of 30 bits worked better than a $17 bit specifically for hard steel. I think the whole HF set cost less than that one bit. I kept it pretty oily while drilling for both.
I bolted it on with grade 8 (good stuff) bolts and lock nuts.
A lady from church knew another woman whose house was infested with bees. A neighbor, my son, and I went to extract them. It went well.
Removing a panel in the ceiling of a crawl space exposed a big, beautiful wild nest:
Pretty neat to see the natural fins they create:
Some parts were abandoned and empty, other areas (like toward the bottom of this picture) were quite populous:
We broke/chiseled the comb out of the cavity, and I brought it home:
And melted it down. I tried a double boiler:
But it took so long that i stuck it all in the grill over indirect heat. Unfortunately part of it caught on fire and it was a big/long fire.
We had a bridge going over a small stream in the back yard. HAD. Two years ago:
Following some rain and flooding, it washed about 70 feet downstream and lodged against the fence:
Because it was heavy (it's about 16x8, made of treated wood, with some steel and 12x12 timbers on the underside -- i have no idea how it floated), nothing i had could drag it back, certainly no without destroying it.
I paid my kids to disassemble it - they spent probably 12 hours each with crowbars and a sledge hammer. They stacked the wood and put the steel in the barn. Awesome.
I used some of that wood to build forms for a new concrete footer on each side -- there were some concrete blocks it had been resting on, but this time wanted more.
As usual the hardest part is measuring and leveling stuff. At least the stream was low, but schlepping stuff back and forth is hard.
I got a harbor freight cement mixer, since i was going to be doing probably 1500lbs of concrete and mixing by hand (e.g. with a h…