I'll have a few manly project posts soon (working on a bridge and repairing a trailer), but much of my time is spent on school lately. I can't post the code (since it could be used by other students and would constitute an honor code violation), but I can show some of the output.
A brief summary of the output of our AI assignments (for GaTech's OMSCS CS6601):
On k-means clustering and expectation-maximization. Required us to do k-means clustering implementation and use it to find ideal "average colors" and the groups of pixels that were closest to those averages. It is an iterative routine which progressively changes which colors it chooses, and (consequently) which pixels are nearest in color to them.
Starting from this image:
This is what it looks like with 2 means (2 colors, and the pixels closest to them), then 3 means, 4, 5, and 6.
There were some other much trickier pieces, but they were much less visually pleasing.
Somehow we banged up the trailer couple so it wouldn't latch nicely.
Unfortunately, it was welded rather than bolted to the trailer tongue. So I cut it off with a cut-off wheel on my angle grinder (being careful to remove more material from the couple than the tongue).
It was rusty underneath, so i cleaned it up with a wire wheel
and painted it.
The hardest part was drilling 0.5" holes for bolts. Somehow a cheap bit from a Harbor Freight set of 30 bits worked better than a $17 bit specifically for hard steel. I think the whole HF set cost less than that one bit. I kept it pretty oily while drilling for both.
I bolted it on with grade 8 (good stuff) bolts and lock nuts.